After trimming up the errant edge I resumed by cleaning up the scarfs, matching up the edges, marking the stitch line then drilling holes for the wires. Every 5 inches on the 1/4 inch sheet. Every 12 inches on the 1/2 inch sheet.

 

 

 

 

Then I used a small plane to bevel off the inside edges of the bow panels. This is to help prevent them from riding up over each other as you draw them up tight during stitching.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next I got the jig ready by mounting the "saddles" . Neal's saddles are a little different than what Renn specs out. But they do make the alignment really nice.

 

 

 

With the saddles in place I cut my wires and did a little clean-up waiting for Kathleen to get home to help with the stitching.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I am very happy with how the stitching went. It was actually easier than I had expected.  And once done everything was right on the money. The measurements were surpisingly close! Phew!

 

 

 

And at this point it begins to actually look like something!

 

 

Day seven I will do final tweaking of the bottom and dry fit the chines.

Nov 15, 2005

Today started with great expecations. Those were dashed when I realized that the starboard bow panel ended up being just a tiny bit off. It musy have happened when I leaned on it to drive screws through the scarf. I figured I could just split the difference and trim a bit off. That would cause only a very slightl modification to the chine side of the bow panel. A quick call to Neal and after a bit of discussion that seemed like the the best route to take. So I trimmed off a bit of the starboard bow keel and an equal amount off the port bow chine and carried on. The mid & aft panels on each side were pretty much perfect.


Page 1 , last page , next page