I was not particularly efficient today in my epoxy methods. It took a little while to get my timing and amounts down. I jacked my garage heat up to 75 degrees (f) and played around with my batch sizes. I also had to heat up my pump wells with a hair dryer to eliminate the crystals which had formed from being stored for so long. I can see I need a bunch of chip brushes.


Since I a using one of Neal Schlee's kits I blended his advice with Renn's book. I started by dry fitting everything and making marks for reference points for refitting. The kit is so precise though that pieces align very easily.

That being done I began by filling the backside of the motor mount and then wetting it and the area it would match up with twice to eliminate any dry spots.

That being done I placed the motor mount down and screwed from the back or outside of the hull into the motor mount. Since the mount piece is so thick you get better grip by screwing in from the outside so you can suck that piece down using 2" screws through fender washers.

Next I did each of the horns. I first marked the spaces where the corner braces and shelves would go so that I could leave those areas dry for later mounting. Then I rounded off the inside edges because later your router wont be able to fit into those last few inches because the router will bump up against the motor mount.

Finally I did the lower doubler. I used blue painter's masking tape on the lower sheet to keep the ooze off the lower face so that I could get good adhesion later when these face glue up to the hull sheets. Also be sure to keep scraping the ooze out from between the lower doubler and the motor mount to keep it clean for when you use that space for your splash well.

All in all I was happy with today's progress. Next step will be to glass the inside of the transom and prepare the chines.

 

Nov 8, 2005

Today was the first day of construction. I epoxied up the transom.


Page 1 , last page , next page