Steve's Tolman Project 53rd page...

March 20th

For the past few weeks I've crawled around the Jumbo, laying out the side panels and windshield panels, measuring, remeasuring and tweaking. Removing them, trimming them, re-installing them, tweaking, and taking them down again. I've felt like a monkey with all the climbing up and down the ladder and the hull.

One thing for sure that I've determined is that at 6 foot 3 inches, the wheelhouse was too tall. Three inches made the boat seem very top heavy I thought, and after consulting with Renn and a few other folks who've built Jumbos with wheelhouses, I decided that the roof had to come back down. And so it goes. I pulled down the jig, trimmed away the excess bits and re-aligned the whole thing. It looks straight and the roof line looks much more reasonable. Tall folks are just going to watch their heads as they enter and exit the wheelhouse, and they'll just have to bend their knees when we're bumping along. When seated, folks will have plenty of head room, so not to worry.

The past few days have been spent laying out the actual window openings. I started out with 2" posts on the sides and 3 1/2 to 4 inches on the top and bottom. Same measurements for the side windows. Well I didn't think they looked right. The bottom measurement really bothered me and seemed like the bottoms of both the side windows and windshield panels seemed too large. Or in other words the opening of the windows seemed too small. So after having laid out the window openings, I went back and re-laid them out again. I repositioned the panels and was finally satisfied with the scale of everything.

Next I cut out the window openings. For the side panels I placed both the port and starboard panels together and cut out the window openings all at once. This way the windows should be exact mirror images of each other. Then I cut out the windshield panels and again made sure that the left and right side were mirror images of each. Neither the windshield or side panels were exactly the same, but the windows should be. Differences are slight and no one will ever notice.

I put up the panels after cutting them out, and I'm pleased. Actually I'm ecstatic. I love the look and really love the airy feeling of the wheelhouse. Can't wait to get all of this glued up and installed.

Before I glass up the panels I'm going to trace the window outlines onto a roll of paper and send it off to Wynne Industries, a windshield manufacturer and get an estimate on what a set of professionally built windows will cost. I'd thought originally that I'd go with Lexan that I'd cut out myself, but I'm thinking that maybe I outta go with the good stuff. Will see after the estimate.

Tomorrow I'll start glassing the frames and then I'll install them.

next installment...