Author Topic: My Widebody is LAUNCHED.  (Read 59633 times)

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
My Widebody is LAUNCHED.
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
I had planned to start building in February and missed that by a few days, but today I got started.

I was delayed by a garage clean-out/insulate/heater install that turned out very well.

Today I built the jig set it on sawhorses and screwed on some OSB that I had to make a work table for the prep work, then I made the stringers, patterns for the shelves and four of the six shelf pieces. Yes 6, I made mine in three pieces per side so I could use some nice SYP 2x8x8's that I had.

I am off work this next week and am hoping to have all the shelves done and the ply cut and ready to glue the scarphs. I will drive up to Lansing on Monday or Tuesday to pick up the plywood. My epoxy is on the way.

I'll put up some pics in the morning, then I plan to go make a scarphing jig and work on finishing up the shelves.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:04:24 PM by jerry bark »
Tolman Widebody Skiff built in 2011

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
Re: My Widebody is officially started.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:15:08 AM »
My clean garage   :) :)

Stringers

Laying out the patterns

Cheers
jerry

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline narvik

• Boson
  • Salt Water Workshop widebody kit
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Great shop,
good luck with your widebody. Seems that you are a couple of weeks/month ahead of me. I am still planning my build, looking at material sources and so on....
At least I built 8 of Renn's sawhorses and started to finish some details in my garage, extra electricity and lights.
I am looking forward to see more pictures.
Peter

Offline Ed C

• Able Seaman
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
My epoxy is on the way.

How much epoxy did you order?
Congrats on the start and the clean garage.

Offline pfithian

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
Good Luck, Jerry!!
Made It Jumbo 25
Skiffkits No. 7025 1/2009
Build Start:  3/2009
Hull Flipped: 1/31/2010
Maiden Voyage:  9/16/2011

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
thanks for the comments guys,

I ordered 15 gallons of epoxy, should be plenty.

Today I made the bowstem and made a scarphing jig for an old circle saw that i had, I was even able to fit an 8 1/4" blade in it after i made a bit of clearance inside the safety guard. After that I had family duties so that was it for today.

I plan to finish cutting out the shelves and get them planed down and glued up tomorrow. Tuesday I am going to Lansing for plywood and to make a bit of a splash in the news by execising my right to peaceful assembly and protest.

give me about three weeks Paul and I'll have enough done to be worth coming over to see.

Take care guys,
Jerry

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline Brewboy

• Boson
    • Boat construction pictures
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
"I ordered 15 gallons of epoxy, should be plenty. "

Bless your little heart :D I have 15 gallons in the filter of my dust collector!!! Which epoxy did you choose?
22 Jumbo Started 8/15/2009
22 Jumbo Flipped 10/22/2009

This post is hand made by the artist and therefore subject to the artists interpretations regarding spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

Offline dldobler

• Able Seaman
  • Moonbeam Widebody 21-6
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
God bless the boat and the builder.  I wish that I had taken a pre-build, clean shop picture.  Keep a good photo record and share as you go.  I do remember how momentous it felt laying out the curves for the shelves, and my kids remember that all had a hand in cutting the stringers--a fine, fine project, to build a Tolman.

David
"He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea."

http://photobucket.com/Moonbeam_build

Offline gmclain

• Second Mate
  • 22' widebody
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:03 AM »
Congrats on the start Jerry keep us posted.
Glenn

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:52:39 AM »
"I ordered 15 gallons of epoxy, should be plenty. "

Bless your little heart :D I have 15 gallons in the filter of my dust collector!!! Which epoxy did you choose?

LMAO,

you sound just like my aunt from Atlana in her lilting southern drawl  "poor thing doesn't even know what he's gotten himself into again, bless his heart."

I built a SNG kayak on 1 gallon.  I'll bet you a pint that 15 is enough.

I ordered through Aero-marine, I used the epoxy from clarkcraft on my kayak and it was fine to work with but it costs much more. I need to call RAKA today and order my glass and odds and ends.

thanks David and Glenn for the encouragement, I plan to log pictures regularly here.

Cheers
Jerry

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline SmokinFletch

• First Mate
  • I got a boat building problem!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
I'll take that bet and raise you a gallon. ;D

Glad you have jumped in and keep the pictures coming.

Build fast and go fishing!!

Offline David Nolan

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »
Id order another 15 gallons :)

what they said, only "build faster and go fishing even faster"

scrape instead of sand.

do everything you can in prep work so you dont have to stop when you are building.... like i had to go and cut tape, etc

starting is the hardest part.  also, glass everything you can when its flat and on sawhorses is my advice.  including the stringers.  then you can fillet them in in a jiff and cover up the bottom edges neatly

great job!

Offline jerry bark

• Second Mate
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
Order 15 gallons more epoxy??? NOT.

Time for an update.

here are the shelf pieces and bowstem all cut and waiting for glue up

My transom is ready for laminating, this shot shows it part way cut out.

I also made and tested a scarfing jig like the one sketched in the book, used an old black and decker saw that i kept around for demolition work back when I used to do some part time construction while in grad school. Works well enough, if the motor holds out till I'm done that is.

then today, I ripped all the sheets for the bottom and sides, cut to length where required and cut some of the scarfs. the jig worked fine once i got a bug sorted out.

tomorrow I am going to finish cutting the scarfs and make a pattern for cutting the 1/4" parts of the bottom. I will also cut the bottom molds and glue up the shelves and leave them to cure while I take my son skiing up north saturday.

I'll get back at it Sunday and Monday, Tuesday is back to work for me.

BTW I have been logging hours and have 12 direct hours so far, plus about two hours of shop clean up time, an hour sharpening tools, and a couple trips for lumber.

Cheers
Jerry

BTW: I might be coming back up to Anchor Point this year in May for some fishing, if the airfare does not go nuts.

Sturgis, Michigan

Offline JMB

• Third Mate
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 02:21:17 AM »
OUCH!

15 gallons and then a lot more.

My 20' Standard has about 30+ a few more + a few more.  Very little waste.  Lots of dust.

Put your 'strongback + frames' on wheels.  You can move out of your rather 'clean' garage.  And, spread some of that sanding dust to the nice/grouchie neighbors.

Less labor in garage and more on Tolman.

Just my $.0222222222222 worth!

JMB

Offline gmclain

• Second Mate
  • 22' widebody
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:19:16 AM »
Have alot of parts pre made when you mix epoxy, seems like I always had more epoxy than I needed for what I was doing, then I would seal other parts that were somewhat ready to go with the extra.
Glenn